The Young Voices of Missouri project encourages the work of young writers (grades 9 through 12) in Missouri, and gives them an opportunity, at an early age, to have work published and circulated to an audience beyond their own school. All works submitted will be reviewed by a screening panel and the editors of Chariton Review; all students who submit work will receive written feedback on their work. From the items submitted, the editors will select works for publication in Young Voices of Missouri 2016, which will be published as a special issue of Chariton Review, a literary journal published by Truman State University Press.
After works are selected, Press staff will follow standard processes for publishing a journal: contacting authors to secure written permission and get electronic files, laying out and proofreading files, submitting proofs to authors for review and approval, and printing. Contacts with student authors will be made through their teachers unless we are directed otherwise.
Each participating high school will receive a copy of the journal for the school library and one for each submitting teacher. Each student who has work published in the journal will also receive a copy. Additional copies will be available for purchase at a nominal price.
Guidelines for submissions
Short stories: any subject or genre (except fan fiction), up to 3,000 words
Essay: any subject, up to 3,000 words
Poetry: any single poem or a set of poems up to 6 pages
Submissions should be typed and double-spaced (poetry may be single spaced); pages should be numbered and sheets should be paper clipped together, not stapled. A cover page should include the author’s name, school, teacher, and grade level, with the work beginning on the next page. Each teacher should complete a form listing works being submitted.
Teacher instructions for submitting student work:
1. Collect printout of submission and signed permission slip from each student who wishes to participate.
2. Complete the entry form: list each submission by author’s name, category of work (poetry, essay, short fiction) and title of work. For a set of poems, please list the title of each poem; long titles may be shortened.
3. If one student wishes to submit more than one item (e.g., a set of poems and a short story), please list each item on a separate line and count each separately.
4. Attach permission slips for each student to the entry form.
5. Mail the submissions plus the entry form with attached permission slips to the address; entries must be postmarked by February 15, 2016.
Young Voices of Missouri Project
Truman State University Press
100 E. Normal Ave.
Kirksville, MO 63501
Young Voices of Missouri Permission Form [pdf download]
Young Voices of Missouri Entry Form [editable pdf download]
Schedule and Deadlines:
January 12, 2018: teachers submit students’ work
March 16, 2018: journal staff make selections and notify authors to get electronic files
March 16-30, 2018: journal staff proof and lay out work
March 30, 2018: proofs sent to authors
April 6, 2018: authors return proofs
April 16, 2018: final corrections are made and journal is sent to printer
May 4, 2016: journal is mailed